Upper Dolpo Trekking
Upper Dolpo trekking is a most beautiful remotest trek in the north-west region of Nepal. Being situated between the Tibetan plateau and the Dahulagiri Himalayan range, it is linked closely with the frontier of Tibet that is inhabited by the people of Tibetan origin and culture.
Dolpo trek provides you an opportunity to come across some unique monasteries adopting original Tibetan religion Bon that is much older than the Buddhism and the Shey Gompa (Crystal monastery) which is the most important pilgrimage of Tibetans. Since 1984, Dolpo has been the largest national park and conservation of Nepal. The park has been a home to Musk Deer, Himalayan Blue Sheep, the legendary elusive Snow Leopard and many other animals. The park contains the famous deepest Phoksundo Lake in Nepal, located at an altitude of 3,600m above sea level.
Nepal’s first English subtitled movie 'The Caravan' (The Himalaya) nominated for the Oscar Award was shot in Dolpo area.
As this is one the restricted areas of Nepal, a special permit for the visitors is required that costs US$ 700 per person for 10 days. To extend this trip more than 10 days one needs to pay additional US$ 70 per day/per person.
In Kathmandu we provide 2 star equivalent hotel like international guest house with bed and breakfast. In trekking we sleep in Tent. There are no more tea houses in Upper Dolpo trekking.
Foods and drinks
In upper Dolpo trekking we take all kinds of food with us that is carried by our porters. We have our own cook who is expert to make all kinds of food and every day he changes menu and make ready delicious which is really appreciable. We do not recommend to eat any kinds of meat that is carried local porters from low land walking with 2-3 days. But we try to bring with us a packed meat. Some places we buy local mountain goat or Local chicken and serve the meat if tourists are interested. You can have meat as you arrive to low lands, Pokhara and Kathmandu.It is difficult to get mineral water in upper Dolpo trekking trail. We recommend to drink boiled water or purified water. Purifying tablet is provided by our guide. Only in some places we can get cold drinks and beers. In higher elevation we do not recommend to drink hard drink.
Guide and porter
We provide English speaking guide and some guide they can speak extra language like, Chinese, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Russian. Extra language guide is not included in this cost. On request of guest we provide extra language guide with extra cost. Our guides and porters are very helpful, kind and dedicated on their duty. Every day they pass massage to us about the situation of the guest, weather in Trekking.
How hard is to go to upper Dolpo trek?
Upper Dolpo trek is a hard trek due to many up and down hills as well as higher elevation though there are hundreds of beautiful breathtaking scenery. If you have good practice to walk up and down hills it is not so hard. The trekking trail pass along narrow slippery gorges road. There are many places on the way to trail which are really danger of landslides. To protect from high-altitude sickness if tourists walk slowly and steadily with many breaks on the way to trek they can acclimatize easily and the trek will be easy. If possible try to practice walking through up and down steeps, Jogging and swimming are equally helpful. Any exercise that is convenient to you and helps you to be fit is recommended.
- Outline Itinerary
- Detail Itinerary
- Trip Facts & Map
- Trip Cost Details
- Useful Information
Upper Dolpo Trekking Itinerary
Day 01:Arrival at the airport and transfer to hotel.
Day 02: Information provided about the trekking and necessary preparation
Day 03: Drive/Fly to Nepalgunj
Day 04: From Nepalgunj fly to Jumla (2400m)
Day 05: Trek to Guthichaur (2,960m)
Day 06: Trek to Naphukanda (3,109m)
Day 07: Trek to Mauria pass (4,250)-Chaurikot (3,700m)
Day 08: Trek to Taijam(2,920)
Day 09: Trek to Kagmara (4,006m)
Day 10: Trek to Kagmara pass (5,115m)-Daju (3,500m)
Day 11: Trek to Phosksundo lake (3,600m)
Day 12: Trek to Phoskundo Beach (3,600m)
Day 13: Rest/Explore
Day 14: Trek to Mandala Camp (4,570m)
Day 15: Trek to Kang la (5,240m)- Shey Gompa (4,280m)
Day 16: Trek to Saldang Pass (5,010m)-Namgung (4,380m)
Day 17: Trek to Yangar Gompa (3,890m)
Day 18: Trek to Musigaun (4270m)
Day 19: Rest / Explore
Day 20: Trek to Lang La (5,002m)-Simegaun (3,950m)
Day 21: Trek to Tin Ja (4,150m)
Day 22: Trek to KKaheng (4,550m)
Day 23: Trek to Chark Pass (5036m)-Chark (4365m)
Day 24: Trek to Yak Kharka (4,780m)
Day 25: Trek to Sangda Pass (5490m)-Sangada Phedi (5,110m)
Day 26: Trek to Singda (3,909m)
Day 27: Trek to Dangar Dzong (2,900m)
Day 28: Trek to Jomsom (2,710m)
Day 29: Fly to Pokhara
Day 30: Drive/fly to Kathmandu and farewell dinner
Day 31: Drop off to the airport and departure for selected destination
Day 01: Arrival
Trip Cost:USD 3599.00
Trip cost: USD 00/ per person
- Pick up and drop transport as mentioned in the itinerary
- Accommodation and three meals per day in Kathmandu and during the trekking
- Trekking guide and porters (Cook and sardar in the case of camping trek)
- National parks’ fees and government royalties
- Domestic air ticket and airport tax for tourists and guides as mentioned in the itinerary
- Insurance of our trekking staff members
- Sightseeing in Kathmandu valley or other parts of Nepal as mentioned in the itinerary
- International air ticket, airport tax and Nepal visa fees
- All kinds of drink during trekking and travel stay with us
- Travel insurance and cost of medical services of tourists
- All kinds of cloth and personal trekking equipment
- Other personal expenses and tips
- Charted helicopter, plane and other transports in case of emergency
- Backpack (50 liters) with outside pockets to keep smaller items
- Trekking boots, well broken in and waterproofed. Gaiters to keep snow out of boots
- Woolen sweaters and down jacket, gloves, wind proof outer garments, pants jacket, skirts, T-shirts, shirts, baggy pants and underwear
- Several pairs of woolen and few pairs of nylon socks. A pair of sandals
- Sleeping bag adequate for temperatures encountered
- Hat with wide brim and sun lotion cream
- One liter water bottle and some food for contingencies
- Repair and medical kit
- Head lamp with spare lithium batteries and bulbs
- Handkerchief and toiletries
- Verified phone number of your Embassy, consulate ,trekking agency and private phone number of your director
- Pen, pencils and letterhead to write an emergency message
- Pocket knife with opener and scissors
- Sunglasses with spare eyeglasses or contact lenses if you wear them
- Umbrella and rain coat
Important Information Before Your Trip to Nepal
Payment: Down payment: 15% of total payment is required to confirm the reservation.
Payment of the Balance: Rest amount can be paid in our office after your arrival.
Arrival Point: You will be met at the Kathmandu international airport. Our office representative will be waiting for you holding play card of the Nepal Mountain Lovers Treks and Expedition. In case of your change plan, please let us inform.
Booking Air Ticket: If you don't have regular travel agent, please visit makemytrip.com, www.kayak.com, www.vayama.com. They offer you very good price.
Room System: Normally we have two people in a room. Twin bed or single bed depends on the choice of guests and budget. If tourists want single room, s/he should pay single supplementary.
Trekking Leading Person: Our trekking guide will lead the whole trip with his/her helpers and porters.
Currencies: USD, AUD, EURO are major acceptable currencies in Nepal and visa and credit cards also accepted. There is ATM facility in city area.
Altitude Sickness: Altitude sickness will start from 3000 meter height. Trekkers should immediately inform trekking guide if faced any problems.
Drinking Water: We can get mineral water and boiled water in city area and in some trekking places. We use water purification tablet or liquid in some remote trekking sites.
Laundry Facility: Laundry facility are available in city area but not during the trekking.
Visa: You can get arrival visa at Kathmandu airport that cost 25 USD for 15 days and 40 USD for 30 days. Please bring 2 passport size photos. You can get your visa from the closest Nepali embassy.
Orientation Program: Before starting trekking, trekkers are provided with an orientation by our office representative or trekking guide about the necessary trekking information.
Group Size: There will be maximum 12 persons in one group.
Accommodation: You will stay in a nice tourist standard hotel/resort in city areas. Normal hotels or tents are available during the trekking.
Foods: We provide breakfast, lunch, dinner. Tourists can get continental food both in city and trekking places. Food during the trekking might not meet the standard of your country.
View of Mount Everest: Trekkers to Everest region will of course see the Mount Everest. For trekkers visiting other regions where they cannot view Mount Everest, there are daily mountain flights which approach close to Mount Everest.
Travel Insurance: It is compulsory to have travel insurance.
Personal Expenses: It depends on your spending interest and shopping. There are some expensive handmade carpets, Thanka paintings, jewelries and handicrafts to purchase in Nepal.
Luggage: We take only about 10kg per person in trekking. Your excess baggage will be stored in a hotel.
Tips: Tips are highly accepted and appreciated.
Rules and Regulation
Nepal Mountain Lovers Treks and Expedition accepts your reservation under the following rules and regulations.
1. If the balance payment is not paid before your departure for trekking, the booking will be cancelled without any refund.
2. If there is war or the situation of the country is out of control and the country faces emergency situation before your arrival to Nepal, we inform you not to come Nepal and refund your payment. But in case of any emergency situation or war after your arrival or during the trekking, we will not refund your money. But we will try our best to make your trip successful and pleasant. In such situation, we may need to change the trip plan and itinerary.
3. In case of increase in government royalty and other costs such as the national park fee, you have to pay extra money.
4. If you commit any illegal act or disturbance for the safety and welfare of the group, our leader or guide can ask to leave the group without any right to refund.
5. If you have any complain with regards to trekking and tour please inform our tour leader or company. All kinds of valid complain are welcomed and processed with necessary actions.
6.You are responsible to ensure that all travel documents are with you during the entire trip.