Upper Mustang Trek
Upper Muastng trek is the upper mustang tour holiday package to explore the hidden kingdom Lo Manthang.Mustang is the hidden kingdom in the world. On top of Kaligandaki River, Mustang lies in the north of the Annapurna region bordered with Kagbeni village. The last point of Upper Mustang trek reaches to Lo-Mangthang, a walled city of whitewashed mud bricks with wonderful Buddhist prayer wheels and stupas. Mustang preserves one of the undisturbed Tibetan cultures in the world.
The trekking to Upper Mustang starts from the north of Kagbeni. In Upper Mustang, we can see Buddhist oldest monasteries and nunneries built into forbidding cliffs and mountain ledges. Mustang trek was opened in 1990 that is still a restricted area for the cultural conservation.
To get 10 days trek permit, one must pay USD 500 government royalty. The best season for Mustang trekking is May - August. Trek to Mustang can be is eaisily done in September and October.
Dry landscape and muddy cave, Lo-Mangthang Palace, indigenous people and culture and ancient monasteries are the main attractions of Mustang trek.
- Outline Itinerary
- Detail Itinerary
- Trip Facts & Map
- Trip Cost Details
- Useful Information
Mustang trekking itinerary
Day 01: Arrival at the airport and drop to hotel
Day 02: Rest in Kathmandu
Day 03: Drive to Pokhara
Day 04: Drive to Kagbeni (2,800m)
Day 05: Trek to Chele (3,100 m)
Day06: Trek to Geling (3,570m)
Day 07:Trek to Tsarang (3,560m)
Day 08: Trek to Lo-Manthang (3,840m)
Day 09: Explore around Lo-Manthang (3,840m)
Day 10: Excursion around Lo-Manthang
Day 11: Trek to Drakmar (3,820m)
Day 12: Trek to Shyangmochen (3,794m)
Day 13: Trek to Kagbeni (2,810m)
Day 14: Drive back to Pokhara
Day 15: Drive back to Kathmandu and farewell dinner
Day 16: Drop off at the airport and fly back to selected destination
2nd itinerary of Mustang trek
Day 01: Arrival to the airport and Drop to hotel
Day 02: Drive to Pokhara
Day 03: Drive to Kagbeni (2,800m)
Day 04 :Trek to Geling (3,570m)
Day 05: Trek to Tsarang (3,560m)
Day 06: Trek to Lo-Manthang (3,840m)
Day 07: Explore around Lo-Manthang (3,840m)
Day 08: Trek to Ghami (3,520m)
Day 09: Trek to Samar (3,540m)
Day 10: Trek to Muktinath (3,600m) and about one hour drive to Jomsom
Day 11: Drive back from Jomsom – Pokhara
Day 12: Drive to Kathmandu and farewell dinner
Day 13: Drop off at the airport and fly back to selected destination
Note: We can offer you tailor made package, if this package doesn't meet your requirements.
Detail Itinerary of Upper Mustang Trekking
Day 01: Pick up from the airport by our office representative and 15 minutes drive to hotel
Day 02: Rest and briefing about Upper Mustang trekking and trekking gears
Day 03: At 8:00am departure from Kathmandu to Pokhara. It is about 7 hrs drive. Breakfast and Lunch is provided on the way in a nice restaurant with the views of green hills
Day 04: A wonderful drive from Pokhara to Kagbeni (2,800m) by mountain road. It will take about 10 hrs. Kagbeni is the boarder that separates the upper and lower Mustang. Your wonderful trekking starts from Kagbeni towards upper Mustang
Day 05: After breakfast trek starts from Kagbeni to Chele (3,100m). The trail ascents 430m and descents 130m. On the way, you will get black, white and red Chortens in Tangbe. After one hour trek from Tangbe, you will arrive to Chhuksang where you can see the mud houses. In about 3 hrs up and down trail, you will arrive to Chele and overnight stay here
Day 06: Breakfast - trek to Geling (3,570m). It takes and about 7 hrs. Stay overnight. On the way, you will visit Samar, a place surrounded by a grove of popular trees which is also popular for horse caravans. The trail ascent s 1,060m and descent 590m
Day 07: Have breakfast and head to Tsarang. You will walk 890m up and 870m down. It will take about 6 hrs to Tsarang
Day 08: After breakfast start walking. In about 4 hrs hiking, you will arrive to Lo-Manthang (3,840m)
Day 09: Breakfast and sightseeing in Lo-Manthang city. You will visit Jampa Lhakhang (house of gods) built in 1447- 48 AD. Thubchen Gompa is another attraction of the Lo-Manthang. The Choprang Gompa and Tsechhen Shedrubling Monastic schools are also visited in Lo-Manthang . The Raja’s Palace, in English Royal Palace, is really interesting to visit where the ex. King of Lo-Manthang lives. Explore around the city
Day 10: After breakfast head towards Tingkhar, Namgyal and Chosar by horse. Tingkhar is the western valley where you can visit Summer Royal palace and Kimling Gompa. Phuwa Gompa and Namgyal Gompa are the main attraction of Namgyal. The Nyphu Gompa and Garphu Gompa are situated in Chosar
Day 11: After breakfast trek to Drakmar (3820m). On the way, you will visit Ghar Gompa means the house style Gompa. In Drakmar, you can see red rock. The local people say it as the blood of an ogress that was vanquished by Guru Rinpoche. If tourists want to visit Luri Gompa, we have to follow another trail from Lo-Manthang city. This day we walk 710m up and 730m down
Day 12: After breakfast we walk about 5 hrs and stay overnight at Shyangmochen. Today we walk 645m up and 671 m down. On the way, you can see many Chortens and Mani walls
Day 13: Breakfast - trek back to Kagbeni and overnight stay here. It is about 9 hrs walk which is the longest walk of our trek, mostly through downhill
14 Day: Drive back to Pokhara. It is about 10 hrs drive
15 Day: Drive to Kathmandu. Farewell dinner is offered with Nepali culture program
16 Day: Drop off at the airport and fly back to your destination
Area: Mustang Trekking
Activities: Trekking and sightseeing
Accommodation: Hotel / Tented Camp
Starting and ending points: Jomsom/ Jomsom
Maximum altitude: 3,840 meters
Duration of the trip: 16 Days
Grade: Moderate -Strenuous
Group size: 1 - 12 pax
Best season: May - July
Trip Cost: Starts from USD 1300.00
Trip cost: USD1300.00/ per person (minimum 2 pax)
- Pick up and drop transport as mentioned in the itinerary
- Accommodation in Kathmandu and during the trekking
- Accommodation and Breakfast in trekking
- Trekking guide and porters
- National parks’ fees and government royalties
- Bus ticket from Kathmanu to Jomsom and Jomsom to Kathmandu for tourists and guides as mentioned in the itinerary
- Insurance of our trekking staff members
- Sightseeing in Kathmandu valley or other parts of Nepal as mentioned in the itinerary
- International air ticket, airport tax and Nepal visa fees
- Foods in Kathmandu and Pokhara is not included
- All kinds of drink during trekking and travel with us
- Travel insurance and cost of medical services of tourists
- All kinds of cloth and personal trekking equipment
- Other personal expenses and tips
- Charted helicopter, plane and other transports in case of emergency
- Backpack (50 liters) with outside pockets to keep smaller items
- Trekking boots, well broken in and waterproofed. Gaiters to keep snow out of boots
- Woolen sweaters and down jacket, gloves, wind proof outer garments, pants jacket, skirts, T-shirts, shirts, baggy pants and underwear
- Several pairs of woolen and few pairs of nylon socks. A pair of sandals
- Sleeping bag adequate for temperatures encountered
- Hat with wide brim and sun lotion cream
- One liter water bottle and some food for contingencies
- Repair and medical kit
- Head lamp with spare lithium batteries and bulbs
- Handkerchief and toiletries
- Verified phone number of your Embassy, consulate ,trekking agency and private phone number of your director
- Pen, pencils and letterhead to write an emergency message
- Pocket knife with opener and scissors
- Sunglasses with spare eyeglasses or contact lenses if you wear them
- Umbrella and rain coat
Important Information Before Your Trip to Nepal
Payment: Down payment: 15% of total payment is required to confirm the reservation.
Payment of the Balance: Rest amount can be paid in our office after your arrival.
Arrival Point: You will be met at the Kathmandu international airport. Our office representative will be waiting for you holding play card of the Nepal Mountain Lovers Treks and Expedition. In case of your change plan, please let us inform.
Booking Air Ticket: If you don't have regular travel agent, please visit makemytrip.com, www.kayak.com, www.vayama.com. They offer you very good price.
Room System: Normally we have two people in a room. Twin bed or single bed depends on the choice of guests and budget. If tourists want single room, s/he should pay single supplementary.
Trekking Leading Person: Our trekking guide will lead the whole trip with his/her helpers and porters.
Currencies: USD, AUD, EURO are major acceptable currencies in Nepal and visa and credit cards also accepted. There is ATM facility in city area.
Altitude Sickness: Altitude sickness will start from 3000 meter height. Trekkers should immediately inform trekking guide if faced any problems.
Drinking Water: We can get mineral water and boiled water in city area and in some trekking places. We use water purification tablet or liquid in some remote trekking sites.
Laundry Facility: Laundry facility are available in city area but not during the trekking.
Visa: You can get arrival visa at Kathmandu airport that cost 25 USD for 15 days and 40 USD for 30 days. Please bring 2 passport size photos. You can get your visa from the closest Nepali embassy.
Orientation Program: Before starting trekking, trekkers are provided with an orientation by our office representative or trekking guide about the necessary trekking information.
Group Size: There will be maximum 12 persons in one group.
Accommodation: You will stay in a nice tourist standard hotel/resort in city areas. Normal hotels or tents are available during the trekking.
Foods: We provide breakfast, lunch, dinner. Tourists can get continental food both in city and trekking places. Food during the trekking might not meet the standard of your country.
View of Mount Everest: Trekkers to Everest region will of course see the Mount Everest. For trekkers visiting other regions where they cannot view Mount Everest, there are daily mountain flights which approach close to Mount Everest.
Travel Insurance: It is compulsory to have travel insurance.
Personal Expenses: It depends on your spending interest and shopping. There are some expensive handmade carpets, Thanka paintings, jewelries and handicrafts to purchase in Nepal.
Luggage: We take only about 10kg per person in trekking. Your excess baggage will be stored in a hotel.
Tips: Tips are highly accepted and appreciated.
Rules and Regulation
Nepal Mountain Lovers Treks and Expedition accepts your reservation under the following rules and regulations.
1. If the balance payment is not paid before your departure for trekking, the booking will be cancelled without any refund.
2. If there is war or the situation of the country is out of control and the country faces emergency situation before your arrival to Nepal, we inform you not to come Nepal and refund your payment. But in case of any emergency situation or war after your arrival or during the trekking, we will not refund your money. But we will try our best to make your trip successful and pleasant. In such situation, we may need to change the trip plan and itinerary.
3. In case of increase in government royalty and other costs such as the national park fee, you have to pay extra money.
4. If you commit any illegal act or disturbance for the safety and welfare of the group, our leader or guide can ask to leave the group without any right to refund.
5. If you have any complain with regards to trekking and tour please inform our tour leader or company. All kinds of valid complain are welcomed and processed with necessary actions.
6.You are responsible to ensure that all travel documents are with you during the entire trip.